Home is where the heart is.
We all have our individual homes, we can and sometimes may choose to change our individual homes. But we only have one global home, one home that belongs to everyone equally, one home that we cannot change, one home that we are all equally liable for: Our Earth!
The truth is: the natural world is changing. And we are totally dependent on that world. It provides our food, water and air. It is the most precious thing we have and we need to defend it.
Sir David Attenborough
Earth Day is about cherishing our global home a little more, it is a reminder to dedicate more of our time, resources, and energy to loving our Earth. Earth Day – April 22, 2023 – marks 53 years since the start of the modern environmental movement.
Wondering what can you do and where to start?
Here are a few tips.
- Gather some information about a topic affecting Earth! Either learn more about something that you care such as planting trees, or recycling, or learn about a completely new topic for example how to protect our pollinators.
- Find a big movement and be a part of it, volunteer or donate!
- Or find a small movement in your local community and join.
- Maybe you have an idea about how to help and support our planet? Gather up your group and put that idea into action.
- Many small actions will lead to big changes!
While many big activities are undertaken worldwide such as cleaning forests, our oceans, rivers etc., here are few simpler ideas and things we can do!
- Join a local group at: Nature Conservancy or National Clean up Day or many others near you. Don’t forget to check out your City Council!
- Reduce your energy consumption even for a day
- Reduce the use of packaged foods even for a day
- Spend time outdoors and observe your surroundings. Watch a day go by!
- Start a herb garden
- Become a composter
- Stop using plastic water bottles! Do a family or friends challenge: who wins the longest time since last plastic water bottle used!
- Plant a tree or a shrub or a flower
- Invite birds into your garden
- Skip a car ride, walk or rind a bike instead
- Turn the tap off sooner, conserve water
- Children activities: make a nature collage or go on a nature scavenger hunt
- Educate your community about Earth Day and what they can do every day to help
- Tell your family about Earth Day
- Share your Earth Day activities on social media and tag Contact Organics on Facebook
- Check out earthday.org for more ideas about Earth Day 2023
No matter what we choose to do, every little bit counts! We only have one planet!
Let’s make every day an Earth Day!
Happy Earth Day from Contact Organics!
We have said it before, let’s work with nature and not against it!